Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Diversity in the Linux Universe

Ubuntu has in recent months come under severe criticism over some of it's decisions with regards to the unity interface, Mir and last but not least, amazon search integration. Whether these decisions are right or wrong is a matter of perspective and I don't really want to get in to that at least not in this blog. I want to focus on the criticism that resources should not be wasted on re-inventing the wheel and that ubuntu should follow the community efforts. Progress is not made by conformance to old ways but in finding new and innovative ways.

One of the reasons I choose to use linux on a daily basis is because of its diversity, all the different flavors, configurations, options etc. It provides me with a plethora of choice, and if I don't like GNOME 3, I can change it to KDE or GNOME 2. When Ubuntu decided to build Unity, I was ecstatic, finally some fresh ideas, some new thinking, and yet another alternative but also skeptical. Although, I gave it a chance and have been loving it ever since. It works equally well on my 27" monitor as on my 11" netbook and gets better with every release.

So those who prefer a completely open source operating system have those options, those who want simple installations and ease of use have those options too, those who want a tiny operating system also have options and all within the Linux Universe. Diversity is wonderful, let us embrace and celebrate the diversity rather then inhibit it.........

No comments: